Monday, January 12, 2015

Three Letters Asking for Money

 Guess What Came in Today’s Mail?

By Warren Boroson

Three letters arrived today asking for charitable donations.
Now, I  confess that I am not the most charitable of Americans. I grew up during the Depresson, and even today I live in fear of running out of money when I reach age 160 or 180.
So, did I contribute my usual pittance--$25--to any of the three?
First candidate:
USA for UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency. Seemed deserving, especially with a humanitarian crisis in South Sudan.
So  I Googled USA for UNHCR--and was reminded that there’s an estimable agency in New Jersey that rates charities: Charity Navigator. It gave USA for UNHCR two out of four stars, and a rating of 70.90 out of 100. Not bad.
But Charity Navigator also informed me that a somewhat similar charity, United Nations Foundation, received four out of four stars, and a rating of 98.99. Address: 1800 Massachusetts Avenue, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036.
Next up: Disabled American Veterans. Now, I must admit that here I was prejudiced. I had read, many years ago, that DAV officers had generously given themselves bonuses of millions of dollars. I think that even I had contributed, unknowingly, to their paydays.
OK, what does Charity Navigator think of DAV now? After all, the sins of the fathers should not be visited upon the sons. Maybe the DAV now sits on the right hand of God….
And it turned out that it does. Four stars, a rating of 91.25. A worthy organization.
But certainly not to be confused with Disabled Veterans of America, whose creator was not long ago sentenced to prison for using contributions for himself.
Last up: a solicitation for Susan G. Komen for the Cure, which fights breast cancer. Lots of supermarkets sell its products. Charity Navigator gives it three stars and a rating of 81.96. Not bad.
Still, I was not happy to read that the founder and CEO recently received $560,896, and the president received $606,461.
A similar charity is the National Breast Cancer Foundation, whose president and CEO received a mere $179,839. Four stars and 96.98. Super.
So…where did I sent my $25?
To the obvious place.
Charity Navigator, P.O.Box 6002, Bellmar, N.J. 08099-6002.




No comments:

Post a Comment