Friday, September 25, 2015

Highway Robbery

I stupidly backed my car into a garbage can in my driveway, breaking the rear lens cover on my Subaru Forester. So, how much would a new lens cover cost?

Over $300, it turned out.

No way I’m gonna pay that. Do you know how many books I could buy for $300?

Besides, I was formerly on the staff of Money magazine; I’ve written for Consumer Reports; I was a syndicated financial columnist for Gannett Newspapers. I’m no sucker; I wasn’t born yesterday.

I went online. Where could I buy a left rear lens cover? Found a place in New Jersey that would charge me only $150. Sent the money there.

I got back…something totally inappropriate. Big black plastic stuff.

Well, I did get my $150 back—minus the cost of postage ($8). The place never sent me the correct lens cover, and never asked me to return the big black plastic stuff. Suspicious.

Anyway, someone at the Subaru place in Rhinebeck eventually taped over my broken lens cover so skillfully, it hardly looked broken.Today I brought my car over to a local garage to be inspected. The state of New York requires an inspection by the end of September.

Damn car failed.

Broken lens cover.

Guess who’s gloomily thinking of spending over $300 to buy a new stupid lens cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment